The Leading Charity
It’s time to speak up! Men are dying too young; we can’t afford to stay silent.
So what is Movember? Movember is an annual event involving the growing of moustaches to raise awareness on men’s health issues, such as prostate cancer, testicular cancer, and men’s suicide.
Created in 2003, the idea sparked between two Australian mates over a night of a few beers. Travis Garone and Luke Slattery were visiting a gypsy bar when their conversation turned to current fashion trends. Eager to bring the Moustache back, they inspired close friends to grow a Mo (Moustache). A friends mother supporting Breast Cancer inspired the men to create a cause and that’s when they both realized they wanted to campaign about Men’s health and Prostate Cancer. Eager to get started they created rules and guidelines to supporting the cause collecting no less than $10.00 to grow a mo.
In 2004, Adam Garone stepped up to help take the Movember Foundation to the next level by registering the Company and creating a website, thus becoming the lead on the Campaign interstate. As of April 30, 2019, Movember has raised $102.9 Million globally.
- 1 in 7 Canadian Men are diagnosed
- There are more than 170,000 men living with and beyond prostate cancer.
- The goal is to halve the number of men dying from prostate cancer, and halve the number of men facing serious ongoing side effects from treatment
- The plan is to unite researchers and experts across the world and chase down breakthroughs in prostate cancer.
- Winner of Prostate Cancer Canada’s Clinical Trials, Dr. Jehonathan Pinthus and his team have received $3.5 M in funding, and will be working to directly tackle the link between ADT, a common treatment for prostate cancer, and an increased risk of cardiovascular disease.
- 95% survival rate, but that’s no comfort to the 1 man in 20 who doesn’t make it
- Testicular cancer strikes early. It’s the most common cancer in young Canadian Men.
- Research project, Identifying Genes that cause Testicular Cancer, undertaken by Clare Turnbull and her team at the Institute of Cancer Research (ICR), UK. Goal to achieve funding of $1,050,000 GBP which is equivalent to $1,758,120.97 CAN
Mental Health and Suicide Prevention
- Globally on average, 1 man dies by suicide every minute of every day
- Around the world, that rate of male suicide is alarmingly high: 6 out of 10 suicides are men
- The Movember Foundation looks at mental health through a male lens, focusing on prevention, early intervention and health promotion.
- The goal is to reduce the rate of male suicides by 25%
- Funded by the Movember Foundation, Canadian Men’s health and wellbeing innovation challenge: Inspiring wellness in the workplace- “Meeting men in the moment” learn more on https://ca.movember.com/story/9617
“Movember’s values steer everything we do! They keep us focused on who we are as an organisation. They are what set us apart.”- Movember Foundation